Saturday, April 11, 2020

Something in the Water

No. It isn't sharks.

This thriller was on Reese's list; and I must say that I was somewhat disappointed. I supposed having read so many thrillers makes you a bit more critical.

Erin is set to marry Mark, the love of her life in London. He loses his job, things get tense. They make it through, and honeymoon in gorgeous Bora Bora (you're jealous, right? I know picturing those over the water bungalows, and endless blue skies has me seeing a bit of green lol.) Life is blissful for the newlyweds. Until (you guessed it) they find something in the water. And in all likelihood, not what you would expect.

Between filming her documentary, and dealing with life after Bora Bora, Erin's life (and Mark's as well, of course) is turned upside down. She becomes entangled in things she never would have dreamed of, but finds thrilling alongside her handsome and intelligent new husband. An adventure all its own. Until (of course) things become more serious. Because, let's be honest. They always do in these types of novels.

The first chapter of this read takes place nearly at the end of the novel; rewinds to before anything at all happened, and shows you how it got to that point. I do understand that perhaps Steadman expected to engross readers from that first chapter... and I'm sure that for many readers it had them turning pages quickly, wanting to see exactly the circumstances that lead to that first chapter. For me personally? I would rather be 100 percent surprised by the ending in a thriller. (Which, if you have read enough of them, can be difficult enough without any hint of the ending at the very start of the book.)

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it? I didn't hate this novel, I swear. It does make me smirk after reading it to see such praise on the blurb. "Superbly written, clever and gripping" is just one of the brief reviews included. While I cannot deny that the author wrote well, I didn't find it all that clever, or gripping. But, we're all entitled to our own opinions, right?

That's all for now, readers. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment