Monday, July 20, 2020

Little Fires Everywhere

First of all; let me tell you that I got my first library haul since the pandemic on Thursday last week!! The libraries here aren't exactly "open", but they have curbside pickup available with an appointment. So, I waited until I had a stack of books awaiting pickup, and asked my husband sweetly to pick them up before coming home one afternoon. Oh, how I have missed the library!!! I checked the slip and discovered that they hadn't extended due dates (as I had sort of been hoping for, as all due dates for previously borrowed items had been extended until the end of this month.). Not a big deal... but that I meant four books to tackle in three weeks.. not something I haven't accomplished in some time.

But; here we are. Monday of the following week, and I have finished my first read and I am halfway through my second. This might actually be manageable! (Now to accumulate another stack of loans to pick up when these are ready to go back! Two bird with one stone and all that jazz!)

Alright! Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. This one has been on my TBR list for a while. As any of you that follow this little blog know, I am trying to work my way through all of Reese Witherspoon's bookclub books (with a couple of exceptions that I have very little interest in. Non fiction isn't really my thing!), and this one was on that list. Not a book to be judged by it's cover (as I personally was not intrigued at all by the unassuming cover art on this novel), Little Fires Everywhere will definitely keep you engaged and flying through the pages.

This book revolves mainly around two families, The Richardsons and The Warrens. Pearl and her mother, Mia (The Warrens) are a fairly nomadic small family that move into the upper portion of a duplex owned by The Richardsons. Pearl is a teenager who becomes fast friends with Moody; the second youngest of the four Richardson children. However, Moody fears he isn't interesting enough to hold Pearl's attention; so he introduces her to his siblings and parents. This book follows the relationships between the families as time progresses. Hardships are weathered. Loyalties are questioned. Long held secrets are unraveled.. along with some of the characters in general.

The book starts at the end, and works its way back to that point as you journey through the pages wondering what exactly led to all those Little Fires Everywhere that take place in the first pages of this novel. I enjoyed it enough that my best friend has since ordered it, and will be starting it this week so we can talk about it.. and then watch the series (starring none other than Reese Witherspoon!) together this fall.

Have you read this one? What did you think!?





No comments:

Post a Comment