Monday, March 7, 2022

A City Of Broken Glass

 So, last week, I promised I would get into some books with heavier content for my posts this week. If you've read my first post for the day? I think we can agree that I have definitely fulfilled that promise. My second pick for this past week was heavy on a different level. A City of Broken Glass takes place mainly in Berlin in the days leading up to Kristallnacht (for those of you who may not know, this was a pogrom against the Jews carried out by the Nazi party November 9-10 in 1938. Jewish homes, businesses, and Synagogues were vandalized and destroyed without any intervention from the authorities. Known as The Night of Broken Glass, it is [sadly] an event that is rarely touched upon in any of the books I have read. (https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/kristallnacht) An event made even more horrific in that firetrucks would stand by to ensure that the homes/businesses/places of worship for non Jews were not damaged.).

Again, I wouldn't give this book too high a rating. (Around 3.5 stars) Again.. I don't think that's on the author. I think that was me, expecting more about Kristallnacht (when, it does claim on the write up that it mostly takes place leading up to that evening), and not getting it. This story starts in Poland, where Hannah has been sent to do a story on the St Martin festival. Thinking this will be a simple holiday, Hannah brings along her 13 year old son. Shortly after her arrival, however, things take a turn. She notices SS officers outside a stable, and investigates; finding countless Jews being held there for an undetermined amount of time. When she encounters someone she recognizes, she has a mission, and the festival is forgotten.


If you aren't a huge fan of historical fiction, but like action and fast pacing? This might be a book you can sink your teeth into. Hannah has false identities (and the papers to prove it), and has a past (and reputation with the SS). She is kidnapped from Poland; thrown into the trunk of an SS officer, and driven across the border into Germany. She (of course) manages to outwit her captors, and (with some help) she hides herself (and her son) away in Berlin until they can escape. 

As is often the case with these types of stories; escape isn't her only mission. Hannah has also promised to find the daughter of her Jewish friend (Paul) who is living in the Jewish quarter of Berlin. This book moves along at a quick pace. There is espionage and romance; hidden compartments and stolen horses; doctors and forgers - all set in the backdrop of pre war Berlin (and all the while, Hannah is trying to be the best mother she can be to Anton). Although I did want more historical elements; I think Cantrell did a wonderful job painting the picture of what it was like to be Jewish (or an ally to the Jews) during this period.

That's all I've got for now, readers. Keep on reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment