Friday, February 7, 2020

Fifteen Dogs

You may remember my post from last week showing my public library some love. While I was there, I recalled that they have a monthly book club, so I began looking for the book list. I'm always curious to see what people are reading, especially if it's off the beaten path. Sadly, the list was nowhere to be found. So, I asked the extremely helpful librarian, who procured another copy of said list from behind her desk. The book for February was nothing I had heard of, and I wasn't sure I would have time to attend the meeting.. but I was still curious. Being a librarian (and seemingly all around nice person) she went into the back room and brought out a copy for me to look over.

When she had initially read off the title, I said I would have to look into it; with every intention of googling the synopsis of the book. She seemed to think my hesitation was regarding a completely different matter; and told me the book wasn't very long. At this, I nearly laughed. Though I suppose for many people, that is the first question that comes to mind when you need to be done by a certain date. I shrugged it off and told her I tend to read a few books a month, and was just curious what it was about. (Which is when she fetched [no pun intended] the book from the office.)

The premise of this unheard of novel? The gods Apollo and Hermes place a bet regarding animals being in possession of human intellect, and if they would be happier for it. 

- I wonder, said Hermes, what it would be like if animals had human intelligence.
- I wonder if they'd be as unhappy as humans, Apollo answered.
- Some humans are unhappy; others aren't. Their intelligence is a difficult gift.
- I'd wager a year's servitude, said Apollo, that animals - any animal you choose - would be even more unhappy than humans are, if they had human intelligence.

An interesting premise, and the wager happens quickly in this novel. The fifteen dogs who are chosen have different personalities, and experience this gift bestowed upon them in various manners. As with people, I liked some of the dogs, and grew weary of the ones I disliked. The novel follows each of the dogs until their death, to determine if even one is happy in their final moments.

With such an unusual plot, I was fully expecting to adore this novel. Honestly? I didn't. While it wasn't a bad read, and I was driven to see which god would win (clearly siding with Hermes; I felt at least one of these lives would end on a positive note). The idea of this novel, while genius, seems mildly depressing, and makes you think about the lives of the dogs we reside with (or encounter) and just how their train of thought works. (I mean, who are we to deny their intellect?) After reading this novel, I am sure I will look at dogs differently; even just for a time. 

I think my favourite thing about the novel was being able to truly visualize much of the setting, as it takes place in Toronto; much of it very close to a neighbourhood I lived in years ago, and areas I am much familiarized with. The bar at which the gods begin and end the novel, for example is one I have been to several times (and also happens to be three or four doors down from my favorite Thai restaurant). 

Though this novel hasn't been my favorite read? It did make me think. Which, I'm sure many would say are the marks of a great read. If you want to pick up something that will (in parts) make you question humanity? It's a worthwhile read.

No comments:

Post a Comment