Saturday, March 28, 2020

Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

I will admit; when we were told we needed to be doing social distancing/social isolation, I thought that this would be a great time to get ahead on my reading for the year. Boy, was I wrong! I feel I have fallen behind on the last week! My children and I escaped the city (which I believe I mentioned previously), and are currently ensconced in the safety of my Mother's home. Any of you with small children (or that have had small children) can understand what a trying time it is on a whole different level. We have spent a fair amount of time going on adventures outside (my Mother is in a new build, and there are workers and heavy vehicles lining the street five days a week. So! Off we go to try and discover something new).

Please. Don't think I'm complaining. Though my littles can be a hassle to get out the door, I truly enjoy our little jaunts. Quality time is lovely. It does tend to cut into reading time, however. I also find myself watching tv and chatting with my mother in the evenings once they are asleep. (Again, I am blessed to have this time.) What it comes down to? Less reading time; more family time. A silver lining to this terrible COVID-19 situation.

So. I couldn't tell you exactly what I was expecting from this novel. I suppose from a cursory glance (yes, judging a book by its cover) I had assumed I would be getting some version of your typical Chick Lit. Something light and fluffy, with amusing parts and some sort of romantic subplot. I added it to my reading list simply because it was the first book on the "Hello Sunshine" book list. (Again, scoff if you must; but I have still yet to be disappointed by any of the books on Reese's list). Alright. So, shame on me for judging a book based on the cover alone as to the contents within. I often will choose a book at a glance alone... it's almost like a little surprise when you open it up and get reading.

Anyways! Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine is definitely not your typical Chick Lit. In fact, I don't think I would lump it in there at all (despite having seen it on lists for that genre). Eleanor is a complete loner who seemingly thrives on routine. I was smiling to myself through most of the first few chapters; picturing her looking like Amy from Big Bang Theory, but with a lot of Sheldonisms. How's that for a character summary? Interested yet? Add in a dark past that only fully comes to light in the remaining chapters of this charming novel, and I am sure your curiosity might be slightly piqued.

To watch Eleanor grow and come out of her shell throughout this novel makes you feel nearly proud for this awkward woman. She goes through many changes; physically, socially, and even emotionally. I feel like you wouldn't recognise her as the same woman from the beginning of the novel. The other characters Honeyman portrays bring light and warmth into this story, and into Eleanor herself.

I feel like it is a friendly reminder that none of us in this world are alone because we have to be.. it is a choice on some level. Circumstances arise that make you think you aren't worthy, or that you just aren't likeable; and eventually you think there is a reason for it. We are all worthy of laughter, hugs, and connection. Sometimes you can find that in the most surprising places.

Remember through this difficult time of social isolation that you are all loved, and that we should all be trying to check in with those we care about. The smallest gestures could have the deepest meaning. Above all, stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment