Friday, March 6, 2020

The Beantown Girls

I have read a few historical fiction novels in my literary adventures. For some reason, generally concerning the Holocaust. I suppose for some reason, I find these books to be quite important, and I feel like we should all have some understanding of the horrors people endured. Many of these books have been loosely based on true stories, and all have been thoroughly researched. (One you must read if you are also someone who shares this interest is The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris, which is based on a true story, and is truly, truly heart wrenching.) However! I am not discussing one of those books today. Today, I am sharing my thoughts of The Beantown Girls, which is also a work of historical fiction taking place during the second World War.
This book, however, follows the travels of three women from Boston who have been shipped to Europe to work with the Red Cross as Clubmobile girls. Perhaps you have no idea what a Clubmobile is? I didn't until I picked up this book and read over the back cover.
These girls are essentially packed up in a truck to make doughnuts and coffee for the Allied troops and boost morale. Seems like a simple idea, and one that was likely a great help to the soldiers during a very difficult time. To see these girls (who were all volunteers) put themselves into a dangerous situation to bring a taste of home to the camps as they played their music and served up smiles and charm is something I imagine was appreciated beyond measure during such a dark time for thousands of men.
The protagonist in this novel; Fiona, has volunteered after receiving news that her fiance has been listed as missing in action. After months of hearing no news, she decides that she needs to become a Clubmobile Girl, and get herself to "the Continent" so she can track him down herself. Last she heard, his plane went down in Germany, and she is beside herself with worry and grief. I just imagine the bravery one would need to volunteer to go to the front lines - and the depth of love she surely felt for her fiance to put herself at risk. Her best friends, Dottie and Viv also volunteer, and the three are shipped off to England; where they learn they may never actually make it to Germany.
I must admit, this is the first book I have ever read that had me welling up - several times. You can't help but feel the heartbreak of so many different characters. The loses they have endured; made all that more realistic knowing that so many went through these difficult situations during that terrible war. The hardships these girls face are actual hardships that were faced by Clubmobile Girls during the war (some events actually did involve Clubmobile Girls, and have been fictionalized to include Fiona, Viv, and Dottie). You feel the highs and the lows as you follow these girls throughout the duration of their deployment. The highs will make you smile, the lows will make you really think.
This book has left me very grateful. Although the world is not entirely at peace; I do not have to suffer any of the difficulties these girls faced; let alone the soldiers that are depicted. It has left me thankful; for those that did fight. For the volunteers who put their lives on the line. Who knows where we would be without the bravery of everyone involved in the war effort.
Bottom line here? READ THIS BOOK. Jane Healey really hits it out of the park (in my humble opinion) with this work.

**Black and white images have been pulled from a google image search of actual Clubmobiles**

clubmobile.org/history.html - contains a brief history of the Clubmobiles, and includes more pictures. Definitely worth a look.


No comments:

Post a Comment