Friday, January 24, 2020

Book Hunt?

Do you ever find yourself looking through the stacks of second hand books on a sort of reader's treasure hunt? I must admit, the charm and clutter of these shops, as well as the smell of old books provides an enticement I wouldn't know outside the world of a bibliophile. I have been hunting for years now to replace a few books I have collected in soft cover edition with hardback. Which books might these be? I am hunting down a few from Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I had purchased them all in softcover in my early twenties, and would scour the used section in bookstores, or even Value Village or other thrift stores in my late twenties (and now into my thirties). You just can't know what you will find.

Today was one of those days. I was on the hunt, my eyes hungrily scrolling over titles, anxious to discover one of those final three novels. I did find some other volumes from this collection. Not the three I was looking for, sadly. But.. there is no rush. Always the silver lining, yes?

Something else did bring a smile to my face as I perused the shelves. Something I already have, but was eager to help find a new home. Do you ever have those moments? It was like I was being spoken to by these pages. I'm sure you're curious to know just what gave me such a thrill? Believe it or not, there were two copies of The Night Circus in hardback!!! I actually had them both in my hands, almost in my cart. I lent out my copy five years ago; and after discussing it via this blog, and with my sister (briefly) in the past month, I have been itching to read it again.

The books (unfortunately) were not in the most pristine condition. They weren't awful by any means; but, I do feel like they were loved by the previous owners. (A much better line of thought than the abuse some people put their books through. You may laugh, but that seriously injures a part of me when I see these things! I cringe! Lectures may be in order!! Respect the books! For the love of God, please!) Anyways! I placed them (with an almost heavy heart) back on the shelf. However, I didn't put them back on the bottom shelf, spine out.

Oh no. Top shelf, cover exposed. I hope they call to someone and find a new home today. Some of you may shake your head in amusement. Some may agree. Who doesn't want to share the books they have truly loved? (If you live in Mississauga, Ontario? They may still be there! Dixie and Dundas location... I'm just saying.)

Alright. Until next time, readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment