Tuesday, January 21, 2020

The Anatomy of Dreams

Who knew that Dreams had Anatomy? I certainly didn't. Carrying this particular book around for the last week has almost made me feel like someone posing as an intellectual. I had someone basically seem intimidated by this volume when I pointed it out over the weekend. While the language is certainly more complex than in simpler novels, and there are definitely questions about the human brain (and dreams, of course) that it leaves you to ponder; you don't need to be a rocket scientist (or a neurologist) to follow the plot line.

With my last post, I discussed reading a follow up novel to a debut. In this case? It's the other way around. I discovered Chloe Benjamin by scrolling through upcoming reads last year and finding her second novel (The Immortalists) on numerous lists. After following the siblings that story revolved around, I was quite pleased to find it was Benjamin's second book. Because who doesn't get that fuzzy feeling when you first read an author to come across a backlog of their work!?

With this debut, I didn't feel quite as connected to the characters. But, the entire premise of the work they are preforming is very intriguing. Once again, not something I would recommend to those of you looking for an easy read. The plot moves along steadily, and by the time I hit the third part I was partially surprised, and in part totally expecting it (much like the main character, Sophie, it would seem). As someone who very rarely remembers her own dreams, I found the idea that you could essentially be two people very curious - regardless of the fact that this book is a work of fiction. It made me really look inside myself and wonder if this could even possibly be true; though to the lesser extent that these characters are researching and trying to overcome. The question of morality is approached and never entirely disregarded.

I suppose that that's the draw of this enticing work. Chloe Benjamin will be worth watching as she really spreads her wings in the literary world. This book was received with wonderful reviews, and I personally feel her second book had surpassed her debut. Keep your eyes on this one.

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-anatomy-of-dreams-a/9781982105037-item.html?ikwid=the+anatomy+of+dreams&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0 - Although I linked Amazon on my previous post, consider Chapters... earn those plum points and keep yourself in books. Also, free shipping over $25 instead of $35! (And no, I'm not affiliated with Chapters. Unless you count my love of the store as an affiliation. Ha!)

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-immortalists/9780735215092-item.html?ikwid=chloe+benjamin&ikwsec=Home&ikwidx=0 - And a link to her follow up. Just because.

Let me know what you think if you decide to explore her work.. or if you have previously and just wish to discuss it.

For now? Keep reading. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment