Friday, January 31, 2020

The Cactus

I finished book three for January (and the year.. only 32 more before I hit my 2020 goal; but who's counting?) last night as I sat doing my rehab. The Cactus by Sarah Haywood, an advanced reader's edition I was gifted two full years ago that I never got around to. I know!! Shame on me... what's the point of having an advanced edition if you're aren't going to read it in advance!? Next time, dear readers.. I will be sure to read those editions in advance and share my pearls of wisdom (ha!) regarding said novels. Anyone have a publication that wants to send me free advanced copies? Anyone??

ANYWAY! Sorry for going off on yet another tangent.. I'm sure you have noticed by this point that I tend to do that from time to time. (And this is where I take a second to gather my thoughts regarding my reading opposed to launching into a paragraph or two about my tendency to do such a thing.)

The Catcus. "It's never too late to bloom". I've got to be honest. The cover art on this alone made me want to read this debut. Seems strange, but I have a bit of a soft spot for cacti (honestly - I have catus decals in my living room). The premise seemed interesting enough - an unemotional woman finds herself pregnant (unplanned) and in a legal dispute with her brother regarding her recently deceased mother's will. I expected that after my last couple of reads (which were a bit on the heavy side), I thought this one would be light and fluffy.

I wouldn't necessarily describe it as either of those things. Firstly? I actually had to pull out my phone and google definitions for a couple of words throughout the novel that the main character uses. (Not a bad thing at all! I love to feel I've learned something; especially a new word or two. It just took me by surprise.) I also didn't personally feel any real connection to the protagonist, which is a big change from most books I read.

Don't get me wrong. I liked watching her emotional growth as the novel went on. But, I didn't ever really feel for her, despite the difficulties she endures. (I suppose because I kind of feel like she brought it on herself - don't crucify me on this one.) She appears to be a somewhat trying person. Rob and Kate, as supporting characters, on the other hand? I quite liked and could see befriending if they existed outside the pages of the book.

For me, the supporting characters are what make this book. Susan seems somewhat cold and overly rational, from her relationships, work, even her shopping. Think a less science minded (and female) Sheldon Cooper, and you have what I envision Susan to be like through most of this book. (And though I love Sheldon's quirks on Big Bang, it's the mix of characters that really make that show a pleasure to watch.)

I didn't hate this book. I didn't love it either. I just wish I had a bit more love for "up the duff" Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment