Monday, January 24, 2022

Bluebird

I know I've mentioned my love of historical fiction once or twice... or likely several times. One thing I may not have covered with the same amount of passion would be how much I adore sharing my love of historical fiction with people who share that interest. For this exciting read, my closest bookish friend, MB dove in with me. (And let me tell you - if you are a reader who truly wants to discuss a books' inner workings, or character development.. a buddy read with someone who feels the same way is simply an unmatched way to do this. MB and I share a love for historical fiction, and have had some incredibly in depth discussions about those reads; and this book had SO much happening, I was beyond thrilled to share the journey with someone!)




I'm sure some of you are thinking that there is NO WAY historical fiction could be exciting. That the backstory or setting makes these reads boring. (Again, not every book is for every reader! I personally love the detail of these books, and am always thankful to the author for the research and passion they have expressed in the pages they've written.) Bluebird sort of... knocked me sideways. Honestly. The first 3/4 of this book read almost like a thriller with its pacing, twists and turns. You may scoff; but.. I'm not kidding.

This book centers on Eva, a young girl escaping post WWII Germany with her injured friend Briget. She has false papers, files secured in her skirt, and a deal brokered with the CIA. Intrigued? Throw in the fact that this book is in part a witch hunt for a terrifying doctor from a Nazi camp who is experimenting with mind control; and who the CIA wants to use for their own purposes.. and it truly seems as though this is something that could never have truly happened.

Through these pages, Eva learns about who she is.. on so many different levels. The strength of her character, her evolution and self realization is nothing short of astounding. I have no idea how she could have kept herself so composed - though I suppose a bit of a romantic entanglement could help that a touch. Yes, Eva finds herself drawn to a young man she thinks she shouldn't. (Though I was loving and rooting for Jacob through this entire book!) Cameron has developed some fabulous characters, and I felt as though I would have loved a visit to Powell House to share a cup of tea with the residents there.

Although the ending wrapped everything up nicely (and in a way you are hoping for!), it sort of.. fell flat for me; (likely because the rest of the book was so non stop!) which is why this book only received a four star rating from me. 

This book took a few days to digest for me. Don't get me wrong - I would give it four stars and recommend it to anyone who loves historical fiction. Cameron's descriptions of the Doctor and other Nazi party members honestly made my stomach roil. (Her writing has always been on point.) It was also hard knowing that operations such as Operation Bluebird actually existed. That the US (and even Canada, it turns out) have allowed Nazi party members to live in our countries and start over. (I have since read a couple of articles about trying to have such people extradited has failed essentially every time it has been tried in Canada, and that thousands of Nazis relocated here after WWII.) Hard truths can take a little bit of time to come to terms with.

As always, dear reader - keep on reading.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment