Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Woman With The Blue Star

 Well hey there! (To whom I'm writing, I'm not entirely sure!) It's been a while. Life happened. I'm sure you (whoever you are!) can relate. Especially given that we have been living through pandemic times for basically two years at this point. (Something I am positive no one had anticipated when all of this started.)

ANYWAY! I'm back. My first read of the year was one that has been on my list since it was released - and my first Pam Jenoff read, despite basically all of her books being on my TBR. (You would think that someone like myself, who is constantly reading historical fiction with a major focus on WWII would have read something from her library by now! She has been so well received, and numerous women in the book groups I am a part of mention her frequently. (Rest assured; it will not be my last!)

I had read previously that Pam Jenoff did extensive research prior to writing her books. It definitely shows. (I had also read in her postscript that she actually had to scrap the book she had been writing; and The Woman With The Blue Star was her second attempt. Bravo!) 

Taking place in Krakow, Poland; this book focuses on two strong and brave women. Sadie is a Jew living in the ghetto at the opening of this book. During the clearance of the ghetto, Sadie and her family escape - to the sewer. Ella is a young woman coming from a well off family who happens to spy Sadie through a sewer grate one day while in the industrial section of Krakow. The two form the most unlikely of friendships. They share their joys, fears, and grief. Ella helps Sadie and the other Jews hiding in the sewer through the very worst parts of the German occupation. 

Now, I don't want to give anything else away about this novel. I will admit that in several places, this book broke my heart. Every single time I read anything that has taken place during this horrendous time during history; it really makes me think. Would I have been as brave as the characters in this story? How fortunate I am to live in a time and country where I do not have to witness or be victim to such terrible events. I also think about how thankful I am to the authors, who take the time to research these stories (many of which are based on true events - including this one) and share them. 

If you are in fact a fan of historical fiction; please pick this book up. I feel like the story of Sadie and Ella is one that will stick with me; and would probably do the same for you.

Happy New Year, reader. I hope this year finds you better than 2021. 

Cheers.

(Photo credit for book and Pam goes to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Ghetto photo during the occupation is credited to the Holocaust & Archive Research Team)

No comments:

Post a Comment