Wednesday, January 12, 2022

The Reading List

I've always sort of had this thing for books with titles involving bookshops, libraries, reading, or books in general. So, it should come as no surprise that a book called "The Reading List" should grab my attention. Because, who amongst us readers does not have some kind of TBR (to be read) list or pile kicking around. I personally probably own a hundred books I've never read. It's not hoarding. It's books.

I've had this book out from the library for a while, and almost actually returned it without reading it. I knew absolutely nothing about it, and the cover wasn't really doing it for me. Yeah.. I can be that kind of reader. Don't judge me. Anyway! Knowing I wouldn't be making it to the library until at least the later half of this week, I decided to give it a whirl. You know what? I got sucked in. If you are a reader that has been brought closer to a person, or been seriously impacted by any book, this book is for you.

At the beginning of this book, a mysterious person is seen writing lists in a library. The list is the Reading List; the one this book centers on. Though some chapters will touch on various people who have come across (and been changed on some level) by this list; the story truly focuses on Aleisha (a young woman who lives with her mentally ill and her older brother, working in shifts to care for her while working part time at the local library and considering her future as a lawyer) and Mukesh (an elderly widower who has three bossy daughters who seemingly don't have time for him, grandchildren who don't seem to pay him too much attention, and few friends. He has shied away from life since the passing of his lovely wife, Naina; a much loved pillar of their community) who meet by chance when Mukesh returns a book his late wife hadn't returned to the library. (The Time Traveler's Wife

Mukesh has read this abandoned novel, and felt it bring him closer to his beloved. So, when he makes the trip to the library, he encounters Aleisha, whom he asks for a recommendation to continue his journey into books. She is incredibly rude to this elderly gentleman. Has made him feel ashamed and upset. She herself has been given the first book on the mysterious list (To Kill a Mockingbird), and (eventually) ends up recommending it to Mukesh; despite having not read it herself.

These two unlikely characters form a friendship through their reads - as Aliesha starts reading through these books to provide the old man further recommendations. They form a bond by discussing their books; and in time, their lives. 

I loved that through this book, each of these characters could relate to someone or something happening in each of the books they read. Some times you just read something and you have to just... stop. Sometimes because they are so well written you just need to absorb it. Other times, books seem to hit too close to home. This book was the sort of book that almost makes you feel like you're wrapped up in a blanket. It deals with real life issues, and also beautiful illustrates how we can use books as an escape; and also how we can learn from books. Yes, even novels.

This is a book that I feel will never entirely leave me; and one I will be recommending to fellow readers for years and years to come. If you have read this enchanting story (or if you do!) please leave me a comment and let me know what you thought of it! Have you personally been impacted by any of these books? (Little Women is still one of my very favourites; which I am sure I will be re-reading soon!)

Keep reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment