Monday, April 25, 2022

A Flicker in the Dark

A Flicker in the Dark was a good read. A gripping thriller with plenty of twists and turns. I feel like if I

had been more in the mindset to read, that I would have flown through this debut novel in a day or two. Instead, it took me almost a week to read. (Which is fine, just not the pace I like to read at.) Nothing against the book itself. Although I didn't particularly like any of the characters, I enjoyed this novel. If you are a fan of books like The Whisper Man by Alex North, I would definitely give this one a whirl. 

Chloe Davis and her brother Cooper are just kids when several girls go missing in their small town one summer. Six girls. Girls they had known. Fear grips this quaint town where everyone knows everyone else. Was it an outsider? Was it someone they knew? For Chloe and Coop? It's even worse than that. Their father is arrested and given six consecutive life sentences. Twenty years later; neither of them have spoken to their father. They both seem (relatively) well adjusted, living in Baton Rouge; though both (of course) have their own issues to deal with. Chloe (the protagonist) is a psychiatrist with her own practice. She owns her own home, and is planning a wedding with her perfect fiancé.

As the twenty year anniversary of the murders approaches; girls in Baton Rouge start going missing. Certain things seem eerily familiar about the cases. Chloe starts reliving flashes of the summer her father was imprisoned as a serial killer. Is she truly seeing parallels to her father's crimes? Or is she over reaching? As the date to her wedding (and her father's anniversary) draw closer; Chloe finds herself digging deeper; desperate to find the killer before he takes another innocent life.

Though I did sort out each and every twist (and there were a few!) before they happened (I went through a major thriller phase - I blame that!), this book definitely kept my attention. I would 100 percent recommend this novel to fans of the genre. I will for sure be keeping an eye on Stacy Willingham after the promise she shows in this debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment