Monday, April 4, 2022

The Lions of Fifth Avenue

Happy Monday, fellow readers! I'm happy to report that I've had a great reading week, and I am looking forward to your comments and feedback! (I must admit, though I'm not quite certain who all of you readers are? It's pretty thrilling to see the number of readers be a bit higher than anticipated when I come on each week! What compels you to read a blog? I'm curious to know!)

My first read this past week was The Lions of Fifth Avenue. For those of you who aren't familiar with the famous pair on Fifth in New York? The title refers to the two lions outside the most famous branch of the New York City Library. (Somewhere I would LOVE to visit one day!) Funny little sidenote is that I have recently read my children a book about these two stone figures - Lost in the Library (which I would recommend for young readers for sure!). The story is all about Patience and Fortitude; Patience goes missing, and Fortitude has to find him. So, I am a bit acquainted with this famous duo. (What I did not realize prior to reading The Lions of Fifth Avenue is that the lions had originally been named after the founders of the library; the used to be named Leo Astor and Leo Lenox. So, you've potentially learned something new today.) 


Anyways!! This book (of course) doesn't really have much to do with Patience and Fortitude (or Astor and Lenox; if you prefer). This book has two connected timelines. The first follows Laura Lyons and her family, who live in an apartment tucked away inside of the library (HOW COOL WOULD THAT BE!??). Her family of four is kept busy. Her husband is the superintendent of the library (and a novelist working on his first book!), and her children are kept busy with their studies. This portion of the books takes place during the early 1900s (if I remember correctly, it begins in 1913). Laura is itching to get back to school. To become a journalist, and write her own stories. (Quite the feat for a woman of this period!) As you can imagine, getting her husband entirely on board is not exactly the simplest of tasks. (Women belong in the home and all that rubbish.) She starts contributing a column to the library newsletter, and.. things go from there. During their residence in the apartment (which does in fact exist!), there is a series of thefts. Precious manuscripts and rare editions go missing.


Fast forward to the 1990s. Laura's own granddaughter (Sadie) works at the same branch of the library. Unknown to her boss, she is (of course) connected to Laura. Information she doesn't think is pertinent; until a series of similar thefts begin to occur. All revolving around an exhibit Sadie is working hard to perfect to draw in potential donors. Her boss doesn't want the thefts brought to the attention of the public (in fear financial contributions may suffer). Cue a private investigator! (Though Sadie - of course! - works on cracking the case herself.) She reflects on the similarities between herself and her Grandmother. Strong, independent women, involved in the literary world who have both suffered losses.

Secrets will be revealed, as both Sadie and Laura tell their stories. I personally loved this book - 4.5 stars from me! (Don't ask me why it wasn't a 5, because I couldn't give you an honest answer.) It had depth, family, heart, romance, and mystery. I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened this book, but, I'm glad I judged this book by its cover.  


**I returned the book prior to pictures this week, so.. stock images from amazon. Photo below of the Lions, courtesy of a simple google search. (As clearly, I have not been fortunate enough just yet to see these guys in person.)**




No comments:

Post a Comment