Monday, April 4, 2022

The Happiest Man on Earth

What can I say about this book? Considering it is written by a Holocaust survivor discussing his life before, during and after Auschwitz? I have to pause to even know where to begin. I'm sure some of you are thinking that this book must be nothing but sadness and anger. Surprisingly? It wasn't. This book (though extremely hard to read, knowing every word was truth) made me feel like I was being wrapped in a hug from my new friend, Eddie Jaku. Read that again. That is what this book made me feel above all else. 


(Funny story before I start is that I had finished reading The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot the same day, and had been crying. When I started this one; my husband said something about how he hoped I was reading something happier. When I mentioned it was the story of an Auschwitz survivor, he asked why I read all these stories that make me cry. While The One Hundred Years was a sad story, this hits on a different level. Why do I read books like this? Because the are important. Because they SHOULD be read. One review on the book even indicated that the reviewer thought this book should be required reading! I concur!)

As you can tell, Eddie is a survivor. So, this book does have a happy ending. (As the title - The Happiest Man on Earth - implies.) I'm not giving anything away there. Reading about his journey had me shaking my head so very often. But, I couldn't put this book down. I finished it in two hours, and felt like I'd made a new friend in Eddie. He shares stories about going to school far from his family under an assumed (non-Jewish) identity so he can become a successful man. He discusses his experience with Kristallnacht - something I still have not read about much in books. Although Eddie does not provide the many gruesome details you will find in fictional accounts; his prose is poignant and gets to the bones of his story. 

He tells about his time in concentration camps (yes, more than just one!) and the treatment he received there. He tells of undying friendship and hope, even in his darkest moments. His father had instilled such wonderful lessons about kindness and being grateful that he is sure were tools in his survival. Eddie tells about his losses. His anger. Love. Love was a big one in this book. Eddie reminds us how important family is. How important the friendship of even one true friend can be.

Eddie mentions at the end of this book that it took him a long time to share his story, which gave me pause for a moment. (A very dear friend of mine had a father who was a survivor as well; and that friend mentioned that his father never spoke about the Holocaust.) The more of these stories I read, the more I can understand. These survivors don't want to relive the terror that they endured at the hands of the Nazis. (My own traumas seem so very minor in comparison, and I know how hard they can be to revisit. How they can make me feel.) However, dear, brave Eddie tells us all his story - to educate everyone. To educate the future generations. It makes my heart so sad to know that the numbers of those who did survive are dwindling, and that someday they will all be gone. Let's be educated by them while we still can be. Let's pass their stories down to our children. Let them pass them down. Don't let the stories be forgotten.


(Above image of Eddie is taken from the Sydney Jewish Museum website)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scCvi3vY4jQ (A video of one of Eddie's talks. Have tissues handy.)

Sadly, my friend Eddie passed away last year. I hope he knows how much his book has meant to those of us fortunate enough to have read it. Thank you so much for sharing yourself with us, Eddie.


No comments:

Post a Comment