Monday, February 7, 2022

The German Girl

Have you ever been annoyed by those ads that will come up on your facebook page? Like.. (some might say) your phone is listening to what you talk about? (Not that I care, tbh. Go ahead, I'm not all that exciting! Ha!) Well. This book is actually one that came to my attention only because of one of those ads! I have purchased a few books for friends in the US that are from a site called Thriftbooks (which I adore, and the shipping is incredibly inexpensive!), and one day, while scrolling through my facebook feeds, there was an ad from Thriftbooks for The German Girl. The title was one I had never heard of, despite constantly looking at books online in so many forms, and belonging to numerous book groups. Plus, I had a free book on my account! (Yes, you also can earn free books!)

After reading the synopsis, I immediately looked it up at my library (they had it! Yay!), and filled in the information to send a copy along to my fellow historical fiction lover, MB. I let her know it would be coming her way, since it seemed like a book we would both want to read. (She read the write up, and thought the same thing.)

We started (and finished) this novel last week. An incredible debut revolving around a 12 year old Hannah and her Jewish family in Nazi Berlin, during the build up to WWII, as well as her great niece (Ana) in 2014 New York City (who has lived her entire life dealing with the loss of her father in the tragic events of 9/11 prior to her birth). Hannah and her family manage to flee Berlin; boarding the most luxurious cruise ship of its time, The SS St Louis. The author does a wonderful job of describing the conditions of Berlin during this time, and continues to provide excellent visuals as the story travels across the ocean; heading for Cuba - and freedom.

It isn't long before the ship is crawling with word that they will not be permitted entry to Cuba; despite having documentation from the consulate (and signed off on by high powered Cuban officials). The depth of emotion that is explored is unfathomable. Imagine being a Jewish refugee during that time. You have given up everything you own. Your homes. In some cases; even your family and friends; only to be turned away when freedom is within your grasp. 

Decades later, Ana is sent a package from Cuba from her only remaining relative on her father's side. Hannah. His elderly Aunt, who has been cursed to live out her days in a country where she has never felt truly accepted. Ana and her mother trek to Cuba, so Ana can unravel the enigma her father has always been to her. This novel goes through several extremely similar hardships throughout the course of Hannah's life. She herself sees history repeating itself. But, not all those she love stand on the same side anymore. 

Hopefully, more historical fiction fans will grab hold of this novel and give it a read. I loved how it covered topics I didn't really know very much about (such as the refusal to allow the refugees to enter, and more about the revolution - which I had previously only read about in Chanel Cleeton's novels; which as all fabulous.). Although there is seemingly much dispute about any actual learning coming from the reading of historical fiction; shining a light on little discussed topics always intrigues me to learn more. I hope it does the same for you.

Until next week, dear readers. Adieu. 

No comments:

Post a Comment